I’ve always wanted a tutu. Ever since I discovered Sex and the City and saw the fabulous Carrie Bradshaw grace my screen in her layered frock I wanted to have this item in my closet. It is such a classy piece to have in any fashionista’s closet. It can be worn in so many ways, casual or dressy. It is so versatile. I figured it couldn’t be that hard to make so I decided to take on the challenge. It was pretty simple but it does require some basic sewing skills and a machine. I apologize for not taking any pictures during the process. I started and kept going. I will to my best explain each step.
1. A stiff fabric in 1 1/2 yards ( I used sateen fabric)
2. 10-12 yards of tulle
3. 1/8 yard of satin
4. 7-10 inch invisible zipper
5. Thread in color of fabric
6. Fabric/ Sewing pins
7. Measuring tape
8. Fabric scissors
1. Start with measuring your waist, and how long you want your skirt to be.
2. Fold your skirt material in half, and then in half again (basically, into quarters). Measure the radius of your waist using the formula: (waist size/ 6.28). Take the measurement and draw a line from your fabric fold to each edge of your folded fabric. Repeat this same step but using your “length of skirt measurements.” (I used a piece of string the length of the radius and the length of my skirt to get an exact arc/circle). It should look like the figure below. When you’re done and unfold your fabric, you should have a giant circle with a hole in the middle for your waist.