The month of June is a special time within the Black community. It is a time where we get to celebrate the amazing musical accomplishments that have contributed to every genre and aspect of music. This year the last month in Spring has served a greater purpose for the Black Community. As we continue to march and protest for equality, I thought it would be wonderful to showcase Black power with a dessert.
This dessert combines the flavors of our heritage with red velvet, cream cheese and chocolate while also displaying the proud colors of the Pan- African flag. This brookie is a rich as our heritage! I hope you take the opportunity to try this delicious confection and while savoring every bite, think about all the great things Black have done for this country.
Black Power Brookies
8 oz cream cheese, room temp.
1 cup confectioners sugar
2 tbsp. greek yogurt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
green food coloring gel
6 tbsp, unsalted butter
3 ounces of semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1 cup of sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract.
black food coloring gel
Red Velvet Cookies
1/2 cup of butter, room temp.
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. of brown sugar
2 tbsp of sugar
1 tbsp. of milk ( I used almond milk)
1 tsp. of vanilla extract
3/4 all purpose flour
2 tbsp. of unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. of baking soda
1/2 tsp. of kosher salt
1/2 cup of chocolate chips ( I used ruby cocoa)
red food coloring gel
1. In a large bowl, add all the ingredients for the filling.
2. Using a hand mixer on low speed, combine all the ingredients until mixed.
3. Add green food coloring, increase the hand mixer to full speed, to whip cream cheese filling until completely smooth.
4. Set aside filling and place bowl in the refrigerator and allow it to set.
5. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9” x 9” square baking pan with butter and parchment paper, allowing 2 inch overhang for handles.
6. Place butter, chocolate and cocoa powder in a heatproof bowl over double boiler (a pan of simmer water); stir until butter and chocolate has melted. Let cool slightly.
7. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in an bowl. Set aside.
8. Using stand mixer, whisk together sugars eggs, and vanilla in the bowl. Mix on medium speed for about 4 minutes until eggs are pale, approximately 4 minutes.
9. Reduce mixer speed to low, slowly add the chocolate mixture, flour mixture and black food color gel. Slow mix until well combined.
10. Pour batter into prepared pan; spread evenly with a spatula.
11. Using same medium bowl, begin to prepare red velvet cookies mixture by whisking together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
12. Using stand mixer, combine the butter, brown sugar, sugar, vanilla extract and red food coloring. Beat at medium speed until creamy and smooth. Add egg and milk.
13. Turn mixer down to low, Gradually beat in the flour mixture, mixing until just combined.
14. Carefully stir in the chocolate chips.
15. Take cream cheese mixture out of the oven and spread evenly over the brownie mixture.
16. Drop cookie mixture over cream cheese mixture and smooth evenly with spatula.
17. Place pan in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes until brookies are set.
18. Place brookies on a cooling rack and allow brookies to cool to room temperature.
19. Chill brookies for at least an hour but preferably overnight.
20. Cut brookies into squares, devour and enjoy!!
One thought on “Black Power Brookies”